Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Good Cause



I have always been an animal lover, but I have not always been a shelter lover. We adopted a lot of shelter animals when I was a kid, but going to select a new pet was always a somewhat depressing experience. We knew we were helping our new family member, but you couldn't help but feel sad for the other animals left behind in cold, metal cages.

Last spring, my boyfriend and I decided it was time to get a friend for our cat, Ace. Ace is very social, so I knew we were going to need an animal that was absolutely perfect for him.

When I stepped foot into the Humane Society for Greater Savannah, I could see it was a different place than the shelters I had been to as a kid. The walls were all brightly-colored, the staff was excited, and the animals actually looked.....happy.

Friendly cats were allowed to roam in a big screen porch area. Dogs had a lot of area to play. We found our new cat, Kenobi, there, and began the adoption process. The staff were sad to see the kitten go, which showed real compassion for their charges.

I knew I'd really found a great organization when, right before we took Kenobi home, one of the staff members picked him up and gave him a kiss on the head. For an industry where it is easy to grow numb to the troubles of homeless animals, I knew Humane Society for Greater Savannah was different.

Since then, I've tried to help the organization as much as I could. We donated a cake to last winter's fundraising event, and it was such a big hit! We also do our best to try to help make the community aware of when the shelter could use a little help.

Now, we'd like to help again. Humane Society for Greater Savannah is holding a "Dog Lovers' Walk" at the Landings on February 25th. This is their biggest fundraiser of the year, and they could use your support! You'll also find an ad for TIER Luxury Cakes in their program! If you aren't in Savannah, consider making a donation to help them help homeless animals this year.

This is a organization that I feel 100% awesome about supporting, and I hope you will, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment