Monday, January 23, 2012

Anna's Birthday Cake!


It is always a pleasure when I get to create birthday cakes for my friends. When you know someone really well, you can always create something for them that you know will fit their interests perfectly. And the especially fun part is that: you often get to have some creative freedom!

I haven't known Anna very long, but we've become fast friends. So when her mom called to ask if I would make her a cake, I was quick to say "yes!". Anna is a member of one of Savannah's favorite local bands, General Oglethorpe and the Panhandlers, so the easy way out would have been to make a guitar shaped cake or something of the like. But we knew better than that!

Anna's boyfriend, Nate Marsh, also happens to be a fantastic illustrator. Anna's mom suggested using one of his drawings on the top of the cake, so I got him on the phone! He was quick to send me an illustration to use on the cake; Anna's favorite character of his: a dog riding a unicycle.
(this is hand-painted in food coloring, using Nate's drawing as reference)

So I had the top of the cake figured out. But what to do for the rest of it?

I was thrilled when Anna stopped by the shop the day before her birthday (not knowing I was making her cake), and pointed out her love for the silver bird on one of my cakes in the showroom!



Perfect! So I whipped up this cute, hipster-vintage birthday cake for Anna. The especially good news: she loved it!!
'
Happy birthday, Anna!

No comments:

Post a Comment